Three wins in a row for u14s Dec 10, 2018

Warrenpoint Town Under 14s made it three wins in a row as they defeated Bangor on a heavy Clonallan Park on Saturday morning.

The weather was cold, wet and blustery but the football being played by both teams was quite astonishing considering the conditions. Warrenpoint had the opening chance of the game when Stephen Reid latched on to a trough ball from Matty Hampton, but his shot went wide of the upright, moments later the impressive Ethan Sousa danced his way through the Bangor defence, but his effort was well saved by the keeper. The dead lock was finally broken on the 20th minute mark when Burren youngster Callum Woods made a strong run from the middle of the park beaten off a couple of tackles before playing in Ryan Clarke who unleashed an unstoppable shot that flew into the top right-hand corner of the net for his first goal of the season. Warrenpoint continued to play attacking football, Matty Hampton and Conor Mc Cluskey were dogged in midfield, but it was Captain Ethan Sousa who scored the Points second goal when a corner kick was beautifully delivered by left back Harvey Simpson and Sousa leapt like a salmon and directed his header past the Bangor keeper to make it 2-0 at the break. The second half was more of an even affair with the visitors posing more of a threat to the Point defence, the Point created a few chances of their own, substitute Callen Morgan had two chances but the Bangor keeper was able to save his efforts. Warrenpoint brought on Emanuel Ojo , Emel Melville ,and Lloyd Jones to strengthened the midfield but as the weather worsened the pitch got turned into a mud field which didn’t suit the home team and Bangor capitalised on the tired legs of the Point lads and got themselves back into the game following a corner kick which wasn’t dealt with by the home defence, and following a goal mouth scramble the ball was eventually squeezed home to make it 2-1 with ten minutes remaining . Warrenpoint had further chances to increase their advantage but a mixture of good goal keeping, and poor finishing ensured the game finished 2-1. This was a great game of football played in poor weather conditions, but both sets of players showed great heart and desire, no more so than Man Of The Match Ethan Sousa (below) who capped off a great perforce with what turned out to be the winning goal.

Next up for the U14s is an away trip to Green Island on Saturday 15th.

Pictured above is goal-scorers Ethan Sousa and Ryan Clarke.